RWE’s LECH Nowy Staw III wind farm produces green energy for breweries

By Editor


RWE announced that LECH Nowy Staw III wind farm by RWE has started producing energy for Kompania Piwowarska’s breweries.

As of 2021, 100 percent of the electricity needs of the three breweries owned by Kompania Piwowarska are covered with wind energy supplied by RWE.

Wind farm LECH Nowy Staw III is located near the town of Nowy Staw, about 50 km south-east of Gdansk. The wind farm, owned and operated by RWE, is comprised of three turbines, which together have a total installed capacity of 12 megawatts (MW) and meets 54 percent of Kompania Piwowarska’s demand for electricity necessary to brew beer in the Dojlidy Brewery, Lech Browary Wielkopolski and Tyskie Browary Ksiażece, while the remaining 46 percent is already delivered by the existing wind farms in Nowy Staw.

“Thanks to the agreement with RWE, we have lowered CO2 emissions from our breweries by 66 percent compared to 2019, which constitutes a milestone in the execution of our environmental goals specified in the Better Future 2030 strategy, which includes becoming carbon neutral across our breweries by the end of this decade,” says Igor Tikhonov, CEO of Kompania Piwowarska.

RWE operates Polish onshore wind farms with a capacity of more than 470 megawatts. Construction of the Znin project (48 MW) is underway. In addition, RWE is diversifying its renewables portfolio in Poland by investing in solar farm projects and has strengthened its business with the acquisition of 3 gigawatts solar pipeline in 2022.

The installation completed at the beginning of this year was built under the PPA concluded in 2019 between Kompania Piwowarska and RWE. The first electricity from the new wind turbines has been supplied since February.

Latest News